Every portrait that is painted with feeling is a portrait of the artist, not of the sitter Oscar Wilde
A good portrait ought to tell something of the subject’s past and suggest something of his future Bill Brandt
To mark the sixth prestigious Holburne Portrait Prize, in partnership with Moore Stephens, we are challenging school children in Bath to create their own portraits. Portraits can be self-portraits or a portrait of another person. They can be painted or drawn and can include elements of collage.
The winning entries will be displayed in the Holburne’s Clore Learning Space during October Half-Term. Prizes on offer include an art workshop at the Museum for a whole school class and individual prizes of art vouchers.
Sponsored by Moore Stephens
ENTRY IS FREE You can download an entry form here>>
Entries should be returned by 12 October 2012 to your school or to the Holburne Museum, Great Pulteney Street, Bath BA2 4DB
Terms and conditions
• You can enter the Holburne Schools’ Portrait Competition if you are a school-aged child that attends a school in Bath. Home-schooled children can still enter if their home is located in Bath.
• All artwork submitted to the Holburne Schools’ Portrait Competition must be your own original idea and creation. You must not copy any pre-existing image, whether visually or by tracing. Colouring in an outline printed or drawn by someone else is also not acceptable.
• Your parents, carers and teachers may give you encouragement, but they must not have a hands-on role in creating your artwork.
• You can enter as many times as you like, but all entries must be submitted on the Holburne Schools’ Portrait Competition application form.
• Your school will tell you where to deliver your entry form and will make sure your entry arrives at the Holburne Museum by the deadline of 12 October 2012.
• Your entry will be judged within the following categories:
o Age 4-7 (Reception to Yr2)
o Age 8-11 (Yr 3- Yr 6)
o Age 12-18 (Yr 7 to Yr 13)
o A class prize for the best entries from a group
• The Judges Decision is Final.
• Prizes will include:
o Overall winner £50 art voucher
o Individual Category Winners £25 art voucher each
o A free art workshop at the Museum for school class
• If you’re lucky enough to be one of the winners, your entry will be displayed in our Clore Learning Space during Heritage Open Week from 30 October to 4 November 2012. Your name, age and school (but no other personal information) will be displayed alongside your entry and disclosed on the Holburne Museum website.